3. a. Formaggio
5.Brick. This cheese originated in the U.S. around 1877.
6.False. Mold first develops on the inside of blue cheese when it is injected with the Penicillium roqueforti mold. The mold continues to grow outward after the cheese is poked with holes and exposed to oxygen.
8. a. Colby
9. 10 pounds
10. Dry Jack
11. The annatto seed, which comes from the tropical tree Bixa orellana.
Annatto is also used to color butter, margarine and smoked fish.
12. A knife used to check the progress of cheese during ripening.
15. b. Cut away the moldy surface ½" to 1" in depth
16. b and d. It is melted in a double boiler over low heat.
It is cut into small cubes or shredded.
18. Brine solution, which is a strong combination of water and salt used to pickle or preserve foods.
19. b. Soak in cold water for one minute
20. a. The process of turning and stacking slabs of curd to release whey and press the curds together
21. Carbon dioxide. When making Swiss, the cultures added to the milk produce carbon dioxide as the cheese ages.
22. b. Cheesemakers originally used bricks to press moisture out of the cheese